- Assistant Professor in Molecular evolution
FTE: 0.8 - 1
Job descriptionThe Department of Ecological Science at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam invites applications for a tenure-track position in Molecular Evolution. We are looking for an outstanding evolutionary biologist, who is an enthusiastic teacher and investigates the molecular mechanisms that underlie evolutionary change. We seek a candidate at the Assistant Professor level, but in exceptional cases candidates at the Associate Professor level will also be considered.
Potential areas of expertise might include, but are not limited to: functional genetics, molecular evolution, physiological genomics, transcriptomics, and ecological genomics. Our goal is to hire an outstanding individual who complements the existing strengths in the department and has promise for intellectual growth.
- develop a vigorous, extramurally funded research program
- teach bachelor and master level courses in evolution, evolutionary genomics, and related subjects.
- provide high quality training and supervision to PhD-students and postdocs
- engage in professional development activities related to teaching and academic leadership
- Ph.D. in evolutionary biology or related field with at least 3 years of postdoctoral experience, and demonstrable skills in molecular biology techniques
- strong track record of research and successful acquisition of external funding
- demonstrated skills in activating teaching methods in BSc and MSc level courses
- excellent communication skills (written and spoken English) and motivation to work in a team
- proficiency in Dutch is not required, but the successful candidate would be expected to develop at least a passive proficiency in the first three years after appointment
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization. We offer a tenure track position, initially for the duration of 6 years. After 1 and 5 years the performance will be evaluated in terms of publication record, acquisition success, teaching and academic leadership. After a successful evaluation permanent employment will be granted and a path will be outlined for future academic development.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,656 (scale 12), depending on your education and experience. The position is full time or 0.8 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- Possibility to save holiday hours, for sabbatical leave
- good paid parental leave scheme
- child daycare facilities available on campus
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,500 students. We employ more than 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the department
The Department of Ecological Science (www.amsterdamecology.nl) offers a stimulating international research environment with world-class academic reputation, and excellent state-of-the-art facilities. We have a strong commitment to bachelor and master level teaching. Research in the department covers a wide range of fundamental and applied research topics, including stress ecology, species interactions and evolutionary adaptation, plant‐soil‐microbe interactions, climate change and ecosystem functioning. Our strength lies in the ability to integrate studies of adaptive changes across the entire range of biological organizational levels.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae, cover letter, research and teaching statement, and names and contact information for three references until 5 January 2020. The job interviews are planned for 30 January 2020 and 31 January 2020, please take them into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof.dr. J. Ellers
Position: Head of Department
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren