- Full Professor User-Centric Data Science
FTE: 0.8 - 1
Job descriptionThe department of computer science at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam has vacancy for a full professor position as chair of the user-centric data science group. The successful candidate would set up her/his own research agenda in any area relevant to user-centric data science and to provide leadership to an existing broad group of researchers in this area. We envisage that collaboration with other groups at the VU (inside and outside of the department) will be an essential part of this appointment.
The area of user-centric data science is broad, ranging from mathematical analysis of data to aspects of human-computer interaction. Our department’s philosophy is to hire the best candidate available rather than searching within in a narrowly defined research profile. As a result, we encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply. Candidates should have an established track record in their research area, as evidenced by publications in respected venues, real-world impact via open-source/open-access projects, recognition via awards/grants, community service and visibility, and a track record of cited research output.
We seek energetic and synergetic candidates who:
- are eager to shape and lead independent and collaborative research
- lead an existing group of tenured researchers, PostDocs and students (with potential for future growth)
- contribute to teaching at the bachelor’s and master’s levels in the form of two or three courses in areas related to user-centered data science. Teaching is done in English
- support and supervise bachelor/master projects
- support and supervise PhD students
- contribute to the development of the user-centric data science program by acquiring research funding from national and international sources
RequirementsThis is a senior level appointment. Candidates are expected to have evidence of being able to lead the user-centric data science group by indicators such as the following:
- a PhD in Computer Science or strongly related field
- an international research profile, demonstrated by publications in relevant journals and conferences
- academic teaching experience, with a track record in the supervision of MSc/PhD students
- experience with applications for research funding, either individually or collaboratively
- being in possession of (or willing to obtain) formal teaching qualifications at the level of the Dutch BKO/SKO standards
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 5,582 (H2)
and a maximum € 8,127 (H2), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
If you apply for the full professor position the initial employment contract will be for a period of 1 year, but after a positive evaluation and proven suitability, a permanent contract will be given. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- good growth opportunities
- good paid parental leave scheme
- child daycare facilities available on campus
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavour – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the department, institute, project
The VU Department of Computer Science has approximately 170 members, including 35 tenured staff members and 40-50 PhD students. The tenured staff members form the essential basis for the functioning of the department. A tenured staff member is required to make significant contributions to the research and education programs, and to spend effort on specific tasks at the department level.
ApplicationWe would very much like to increase the number of women in the Computer Science department. Therefore, in case of equal suitability of applicants our preference will be given to female candidates.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 16 May 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
Vacancy questionsIf you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Dick Bulterman
Position: Chair of search committee
Telephone: +31 (0)20 59 87784
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren