- Associate Professor Health Sciences
- University Graduate
Job descriptionThis tenure-track position within our department involves both teaching and research. More specifically, the candidate is expected to coordinate and teach courses on Research Methods, Epidemiology and Biostatistics in the various life sciences educational programs: Health Sciences, Biomedical Science, Biology and Health and Life Sciences. The candidate will also be involved in the supervision of BSc and MSc internships.
Furthermore, the candidate is expected to acquire external funds, thereby expanding his/her personal research line. This research line should focus on public health and should be closely connected to, strengthen or complement one of the research topics within our department
RequirementsThe candidate is expected to have:
- a PhD in the field of Public Health Epidemiology, Health Sciences, Movement Sciences, Medical Sciences, Psychology or a closely related field
- a basic qualification in teaching for Dutch universities ('BKO'), or holding a comparable (international) qualification
- should be comfortable with teaching in Dutch
- proven experience in and/or strong affinity with teaching research methods, epidemiology and biostatistics, with a specific focus on BSc students in life sciences programs
- a well-expressed personal philosophy on teaching
- a proven capacity to motivate and guide students at BSc/MSc level
- co-promotor of at least 2PhDs who successfully defended their thesis in the last 5 years.
- a broad perspective on research in general, exemplified by e.g. collaborations in multidisciplinary research teams (both in terms of content and methodology)
- a strong proven track record of international publications
- a strong proven track record in successful acquisition of external funds
- a strong (inter)national network
- experience in various research and educational roles (e.g member of editorial board/member of research committees/funding agencies, educational committees, professional organisations)
- excellent social skills, and be an excellent team builder and collaborator
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €5,190 (scale 13)
and a maximum €6,317 (scale 13), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 5 years, with the possibility of extension.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavour – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
Department of Health Sciences
The department of Health Sciences is looking for a tenure-track associate professor (UHD). The mission of the department of Health Sciences is to integrate high quality, interdisciplinary research, education and valorisation activities to improve and maintain health and innovate health care with a focus on public health. Our definition of public health is "the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organized efforts and informed choices of society, organizations, public and private, communities and individuals.” Specific research topics of the department are prevention, nutrition, lifestyle & youth, infectious diseases, musculoskeletal health and health technology assessment. Within the Faculty of Science, the department of Health Sciences is responsible for the BSc program Gezondheidswetenschappen, the premaster program Gezondheidswetenschappen and the MSc program Health Sciences
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 30 June 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.