- Teacher Mechanical Engineering
- University Graduate
FTE: 0.6 - 0,8
Job descriptionLast academic year, the University of Twente (UT) and the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) started the joint-bachelor programme Mechanical Engineering in Amsterdam. The objective is to provide an educational programme in Engineering in the vicinity of Amsterdam. The bachelor is based on the “Twente educational model” in which (design-) projects form the backbone of the programme. Students work collaboratively on this project during a semester, and the other courses support the projects. During the project, the students have to cooperate with their peers in order to solve problems similar to professional engineers. As a lecturer in mechanical engineering, you will be involved in teaching and designing different courses. Furthermore, you will support colleagues in other courses when needed. Aside from that, in the third year of the bachelor programme, students will do a bachelor project at a company or research department. Part of this project is the course ‘research skills’, which has to be (re)designed and executed for the UT-VU mechanical engineering programme. This will also be an important part of your position.
- You will design and provide lectures/tutorials of specific parts within content-related courses, e.g. a measurement practical and programming in engineering.
- You will design and teach (parts of) courses to support other lecturers. For example design a course reader, give lectures or coordinate parts of the course.
- You will provide students with content-oriented support in different stages of the educational programme.
- You will design, coordinate, and teach the course ‘research skills’, which is part of the bachelor project. This also involves network-related tasks to stay in contact with companies and research departments. In addition, you will support students in their bachelor projects.
- You have obtained a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or (applied) Physics, or you are a qualified teacher in physics (eerstegraads bevoegd). Any other physics- or engineering-related degree can be discussed.
- You are interested in the educational programme of Mechanical Engineering.
- You have excellent skills with Microsoft office (word, powerpoint, excel) are able to work with LaTeX and Matlab (or comparable coding software), and you have experience with Solidworks (or similar 3D-sketching software).
- You have strong organizational and collaborative skills (e.g. meetings, events, long term projects, educational planning).
- You have excellent social skills and have affinity with mentoring students.
- You have strong communicative skills in English (all educational activities are in English).
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,790 (scale 10) and a maximum €4,402 (scale 10), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.6 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year, with the possibility of extension.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance
- 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavour – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the division iH2LS
The division Innovations in Human Health & Life Sciences is a young and dynamic team of lecturers and researchers under the direction of prof.dr. Jacqueline van Muijlwijk. She is involved in teaching and development of educational programs in the department of Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences. In addition to teaching, she especially focusses on scientific research regarding the implementation and effect of i.a. active learning. You will perform your duties for the faculty within this group
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 16 August 2020. The job interviews are planned between the 25th and 27th of August, when possible please take them into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Wout Cijsouw
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren