- 5 PhD positions in Business
- University Graduate
Job descriptionYou will conduct independent, high-quality business research, supervised by a team of professors, and incorporate the research findings in a doctoral dissertation. Also, you will be involved in teaching activities at the School of Business and Economics. Depending on your prior education, you will follow a customized training program at ABRI to boost your research skills and prepare you for an academic career.
- Applicants should have an MPhil / Research Master’s (e.g., our Business in Society Programme) or a university master’s degree with excellent grades in business, economics or a related discipline like psychology, sociology and other (depending on the PhD project) Preference will be given to applicants who already have relevant education and experience with conducting academic business research (e.g., Research Master’s degree)
- We expect candidates to show a proactive research orientation
- To be proficient in written and spoken English
- Candidates are expected to apply with a research proposal following the ABRI format. The proposal should be written in consultation with a professor from the School of Business and Economics, and the topic of the research proposal must fit with one or more ABRI research tracks
PhD candidates can rely on the intensive supervision and the extensive training offered by the ABRI’s leading researchers in the field. They will follow the three or four-year ABRI PhD Program at the School of Business and Economics. The School offers opportunities to attend conferences, meet other international researchers, and participate in various training modules that support PhD candidates’ knowledge and skills development. Many of our PhD candidates spend some time abroad during their trajectory. The prospects for the School’s doctoral graduates on the labor market are excellent, both inside and outside the academic world.
What are we offering?
We are offering a challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,061 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for one year. After satisfactory evaluation, the contract will be extended for a total duration of three years (for research master candidates) or four years (for regular master candidates).
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance)
- good paid parental leave scheme
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavour – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
School of Business and Economics
The School of Business and Economics (SBE) provides high-quality education and excellent research in business administration and economics with a focus on contributing to the social, economic and ecological challenges of our time. Whether it is the use of robots in society or big data, labour market participation or flexibility in the labour market, traffic jams or the housing market, flash crashes in the stock market or choice behaviour in gambling, leadership or change management: we believe in goal-oriented scientific research and understand that progress in academics, the business community and society is achieved through cooperation, openness and social responsibility.
At SBE, all of our highly-motivated colleagues work together closely in a stimulating, dynamic and international environment to achieve our collective goal of encouraging society to make informed choices. Approximately 4,200 Bachelor’s and Master’s students and 1,700 executive students are enrolled at the School, and employs roughly 500 people.
About the Amsterdam Business Research Institute
Amsterdam Business Research Institute (ABRI) was established in 2009 and builds on a long history of research and teaching at the School of Business and Economics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. ABRI consists of six research tracks:
• Accounting and Financial Management
• Digital Innovation
• Logistics & Operations Research
• Organizational Behavior (incl. HRM)
• Strategy & Entrepreneurship
ABRI involves renowned Dutch and international research fellows who publish in and are part of editorial boards of journals including Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Organization Studies, Journal of Management, and Journal of Management Studies. ABRI offers a full-time PhD program in Business and Management, focusing not only on excellent research but also on academic career development.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload the following documents until January 15, 2021.
- CV (resume)
- Statement of purpose (explaining your motivation for a PhD at ABRI)
- Research Proposal (please use the ABRI template)
- Academic diplomas (in the original language and with certified translation in English or Dutch)
- Academic transcripts (lists of grades, in the original language and with certified translation in English or Dutch)
- Academic paper (e.g., Master thesis or article)
- Two letters of recommendation by academics from a relevant field
- GMAT/GRE test results (for applicants with a master diploma from a university outside the Netherlands)
- IELTS/TOEFL test results (for non-Dutch citizens who are not native speakers of English, and for whom the language of instruction was not English)
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Ina Putter
Position: Head Research Office
or the abri website: https://abri.vu.nl/en/doctoral-education/phd-programme/phd-vacancies/index.aspx
Start of the program: September 1, 2021
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren